Mittwoch, 14. Januar 2009

Discussion Task 9


Did the Tortilla Curtain help you to understand better the issue of immigration and the people involved?

Yes, of course. It helped to read the book for better understanding of the problem immigration.
It's important to think about legal immigration first. To get into the USA you need a certain starting capital, a good-payed job or you want to marry an American. So it would be impossible for the poor Mexicans Candido and America to cross the border to the USA because they're very poor.
I never occupied myself about illegal immigrants, so the book helped me a lot to inform me about the problem.

Do you have any other ideas?

Jenny's ideas to that task

Linda's ideas to that task

4 Kommentare:

  1. I really like your ideas about this topic. Do you find it interesting to find out something about immigrants? Could you imagine to start a new life in America, if you were a Mexican? To leave everything behind you to realize the American dream?

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I can agree to Anika, because your ideas about this immigration problem are very interesting.
    The American Dream is great and promises a lot, but to my mind it is not always succesful to believe in it, how you can see in the individual story of Candido and America.
    Sure, the life in Mexico is terrible for many people, but I think immigrants should be also reasonable because of the high risks of immigration. And now to the question if the novel helped me to understand the issue of immigration: yes, it does, because it is the main topic and in many conversations the opinions of the characters are demonstrated.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. It might be interesting to find out what life is like in Mexico, so that people prefer to go as illegal immigrants to the US.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. So...I can only agree to your 4 opinions. To my mind the book helped a lot to understand the situation. Not only in the view of the hispanics. It helped to understand how straight and intolerant people in this region of the U.S.A could be. That they don`t want to give the immigrants a try to life their own american dream...

    AntwortenLöschen